FAST FREDDY'S RECIPE OF THE MONTH
While there is a little chopping involved (bell pepper, garlic, jalepeno and optional cilantro), canned black-eyed peas and canned Italian tomatoes make this an easy recipe. This dish is perfect for a cold New Years day when hopes for the new year and high!
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds hot Italian sausages (about 8 links), pricked with a fork
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- One 14-ounce can Italian tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over and rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
- 1. In a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the sausages and cook over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until they are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer the sausages to a plate.
- 2. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until any liquid is evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas along with the broth and water. Season lightly with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until the black-eyed peas are just tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- 3. Cut the sausages on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices and add them to the stew along with any accumulated juices from the plate. Add the chopped cilantro, season with salt and pepper and simmer the stew for 10 minutes. Spoon the pea-and-sausage stew into deep bowls, garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.